Monday, February 1, 2010

Hockey Can Be a Thing of Beauty

Well, NBC got its wish with the match up between Pittsburgh and Detroit.  I didn't watch the game (too busy on the pond myself -- indoors and outdoors = sweet), but these highlights are great.

I love to watch great officials work a game.  Are you kidding me?!? Crosby and Geno Malkin sealing the deal with Shoot Out winners?!? More sweetness.



0:05 - Good example of  "who has got the best sight line?" - Stephen Walkom #24 makes the call as the best ref.  I think we have gotten away from "the front ref should always make the call"...that needs to be a thing of the past.  The ref with the best sight line should make the call.
0:20 - Walkom working the goal line/working the puck/working the check.  Love it.
0:31 - Great awareness and patience on Rob Martell #26 on a high stick the puck wave off.
1:30 - Sweet goal by Crosby from Alex Goligoski (good ol' MN boy - interesting trivia - Goligoski was NEVER chosen for any Advanced 15, 16, or 17 team to represent MN).
3:18 - Notice where the ref places himself.  Heck, notice in any game where the refs place themself to view play.
4:50 - Martell on his high horse skating backwards and then has two great wash outs.
6:35 - Great move by Flippula of Detroit and great sight lines for a hooking call (see the 'separation between the two players).
7:05 - Martell uses the goal net to bump around players.  I like that move!

7:30 - 9:10 - You have got to see these sweet Shoot Out goals by Crosby (water bottle popper) and Geno Malkin (sweetest slow motion move ever).

Also notice:
* Pierre McGuire is still annoying, throwing 4 "Edzo" comments in there
* Anyone who thinks Stevens pants don't look good, should have their eyes examined.  These refs look SHARP!
* I think I am starting to like the NHL ref sweaters.  You'd never see me get one (nor will I ever wear a mesh underarm sweater).

No comments: