Saturday, June 13, 2009

#24 for Detroit - Is He Done???

Chris Chelios is my new idol for one reason and one reason only -- I will be the Chris Chelios of referees. If a writer like John Buccigross can have an obsession with Hakan Loob, then I can have my Chelios and his [Hour of Power] workout! He is still in the league at age 47 (to put that into some kind of referee years - that would be some kind of equivilant like reffing the NHL at age 77). Well...I'm 37, so I have a lot of [butt-kickin'] years to go!

E.J. Radek for espn.com just listed his Top Ten for the Stanley Cup Playoffs in 2009. Here was number 10:


"Detroit ageless warrior Chris Chelios, playing in what might have been his last NHL game (he didn't dress during the Cup finals, but isn't ready to retire), made an overtime rush in Game 5 of the Western Conference finals against the Blackhawks at the Joe Louis Arena. The 47-year-old American hockey icon moved the puck from his own zone to the far blue line before passing it to a teammate on the right wing. He then continued to the net and nearly batted a rebound past Hawks goalie Cristobal Huet. That would have been quite a way for Chelios to go out. Of course, we're not sure he's done yet."
Lastly, I thank him for being the poster boy for hard work and determination. I love it!

No comments: