Thursday, June 4, 2009

Lead the Field


I have always been a reader. I love to read the sports page, Sports Illustrated, The Hockey News, anything about World War II, the Space Program, and any personal development material. I am going to share a classic with you that I have dug out, dusted off, and have jumped into once again -- "Lead the Field" by Earl Nightengale.

I actually came back to this in a round-a-bout way. Those who have been following this blog know that I really, really like the author Dan Kennedy. It was the other night, reading one of his books, that I came across this section AND IMMEDIATELY KNEW THAT IT APPLIES TO REFEREES:

The very first "success education" that I was ever exposed to was a set of recordings by Earl Nightengale titled Lead the Field, that I listened to when I was in my early teens. In those tapes, Nightengale gave me badly needed permission to violate the norms I saw around me, with his dramatic statement:

If you have no successful example to follow in whatever endeavor you choose, you may simply look at what everyone else around is doing and do the opposite, because -- THE MAJORITY IS ALWAYS WRONG.
Dan Kennedy, No B.S.

Wow...the majority is always wrong. Well, I'd better do just the opposite then, because I refuse to be lumped in with the majority.

Actually, there are successful examples to follow...the challenge is that they are not always within your midst. For example, on any given night I will work with guys in USA Hockey or high school, and KEEP IN MIND I DEARLY LOVE MY BROTHERS IN THE REFEREE WORLD, I wouldn't consider them a role model for me. They may be out of shape...they may not hustle on the ice...they may have poor communication skillss...they may just be there for the money. And, unfortunately, this is pretty much the majority. Thanks, but no thanks majority. I will do the opposite.

Soooo, the opposite will not:
  • work out like I want to
  • eat healthy like I want to
  • pay attention to perfecting the little things like I want to
  • work on being a better skater like I want to
  • pursue more education (about hockey) like I want to
Another smart guy I had the pleasure of knowing told me this advice:

"Avoid being the smartest person in the room."
At first that didn't make sense to me. Then he explained how you should always strive to be with those
  • who are smarter than you, (and in this case, the hockey referee world),
  • are in better shape than you are,
  • push themselves harder than you do,
  • work better games than you do.
This way you will always be RAISING YOUR BAR.

Go out and do it! If you want what the best have, then you have to do what the best do. If you want what the best have, I've got an invitation for you:

Click on this link, download the "Tretiak Mailer" document.

I look forward to your response...JBO

No comments: