Monday, December 12, 2011

We All Could Learn A Lot From Mr. Burke

http://ultimateofficials.blogspot.com/2011/12/we-all-could-learn-lot-from-mr-burke.html
Brian Burke - Toronto Maple Leafs GM
Class of Edina, MN HS 1973
You got twenty two minutes of your time to spare to listen to a very open, 
very candid interview with Brian Burke?  
Watch the video in the link for theScore.com blog


Topics covered include: 

  • wanting to punch players in the head when they complain about ice time
  • picking a barn yard fight with Kevin Lowe
  • his take on gay rights and homophobic slurs

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2011/12/12/the-full-brian-burke-interview-beyond-the-barn-fight/

The section where he talks about using homophobic slurs reminds me of a section from one of the newsletters I provide on a frequent basis for all Ultimate Officials subscribing members, where I talked about Gareth Thomas, the only openly male gay professional team sport athlete.  Here is part of what I wrote:


Gareth Thomas, Pro Rugby Player
On a side note to this story: You really should go read that SI story that is linked.  I will openly admit that I was a bit of a homophobe.  I would use the term, “faggot” all the time to describe somebody who I thought was weak or feminine.  I also thought that whenever I heard people say, “I was born gay,” would just be a bunch of B.S.  After reading this story, if a guy from Welsh, who plays pro rugby, and is anything BUT feminine...well....I guess you can be born gay.  My tolerance level just went way up.  After all, the Stanley Cup took a ride in a gay pride parade in Chicago this past year, so even Lord Stanley’s trophy has some tolerance.  I guess I will just call soft and weak people “pussies” from now on.  No offense to women, of course (hell, my wife played college rugby...the woman was a hooker!).


Also reminds me a lot from a blog post that I made after the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, following the Gold Medal Game in which Canada beat the United States in OT:






No comments: