Tuesday, May 3, 2011

It's a Great Day for Hockey (and the USA and the World)



BIN LADEN IS DEAD

A video and an audio clip that are so appropriate for this moment in history:



An audio clip from the "Common Man Progrum" on KFAN in Minneapolis/St. Paul:

It is an opening song of  "Lovely Day" sprinkled with sound bites from sports/movie quotes, including some lyrics from Dan "the Common Man" Cole:

"Bin Laden's Dead...Bin Laden's Dead...shot him in the head...he's pumped full of lead...permanently put to bed...Now he has: NO MORE STREET CRED!"

(just listen to the first 4:30)
http://www.kfan.com/cc-common/podcast/single_page.html?podcast=KFAN_Common&selected_podcast=COMMON_5-2-11_HR1.mp3


p.s. I love listening to the Common Man show.

********
HOW 9/11 REALLY HIT HOME FOR ME
I have posted a number of times about this, and I will repeat everything here:

Personal side note: In August 2001, I went to Lake Placid, NY to attend the Elite Officiating Experience. This was the week that Team USA picks their World Jr. Team, and I was working the games that week. Well, it was one of the first night's, and I had it off, so I was watching USA play Finland (other side note -- Mikko Koivu was Finland's captain), and while I was watching the game I had the pleasure of sitting next to Mark Bavis.

Mark was the amateur scout for the L.A. Kings. I had met Mark a few years earlier in St. Cloud at the National Select 15 Festival. Brian Thul and I shared a couple of beers at D.B. Searle's, downtown St. Cloud after a game. He was coaching the Massachusetts team at the Select 15 Festival. I had also seen him on the bench with Boston University at a tournament in Duluth, when they were playing University of Minnesota-Duluth.

Mark and I chatted during the whole game at the Elite Experience in Lake Placid, NY. He was there to see David Steckel, who was a King draftee, whom Mark had scouted. 

One month later Mark died in 9/11. Now that REALLY hit home for me, knowing that I knew someone personally on one of those planes. Gulp.

No comments: