Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Brain of a Ref & Technology

Think like a Caped Crusader

Holy Mental Focus, Bat Man!

Twice in the last week I have seen stuff, online, about the mental side of hockey.  I would include the links here, but then you would leave this site and go look at them.  If you are a ref, I want you right here, because my message has importance for you.


Ultimate Officials Mental Tuffness Training (R) - (you can go check out this site :)

Training, development, off ice conditioning, and specialization are at a ALL TIME HIGH in the hockey world right now.  For crissakes, my 5 year old daughter has already been to a hockey camp, with on-ice and off-ice training (I attended my first hockey camp when I was a 2nd year Squirt), and soon she will probably want to join some 3 on 3 league.  It's never ending.  I think this is both good and bad (that's a debate for another time). 

Regardless, the choices a player has nowadays are never ending.  It's not just in hockey, either.  I personally know of programs in my area that are run by former professionals, who offer One on One Coaching for baseball, basketball, golf, and volleyball. 

So, I ask the question again -- "Where does leave the hockey referee?"

As evidenced by the link above, Ultimate Officials offers a Mental Tuffness program.  This is an online course for any official.  All things considered, the importance of knowing what goes on in the "6 inches between your ears" is getting it's deserved due.  After all, when you get to a certain point in your career - as a player or as a ref - the physical skill sets are all similar.  What truly separates the "good from the great" is how you think.

***************
Huh???

The brain is a computer, but my computer is not a brain.

Here's my situation - my desktop PC is coming up on four years old.  That means that it is starting to (a) get outdated, (b) starting to get a bit 'slow', and (c) currently pissing me off.

For my Minnesota Development Model Camp, I churn and burn a lot of video on my PC.  It's a method to better instruct and help hockey referees.  I ain't no computer dummy (even though I sound like a 'hick from the sticks'), and I know enough to perform what I need to perform.

My PC ain't performing.  That just means that I have been spending the last week cleaning up my computer in order to get the damn thing running smooth again.

Kind of like me.

I am not 22 years old anymore.  I have to kick my ass in gear each and every week to stay sharp physically, to keep the fat from piling up on my mid-section, and keep my "wheels" moving.  I post my accountability on my facebook account (see my stuff on the right hand side).  I am doing pretty damn good, but complications from getting cancer 3 years ago continue to try and slow me down.  No more.

How about you?  You keeping yourself running smooth?  Whether you are 22 or 62, we can get you going with referee-specific workouts.  Check out the stuff on the right hand side, too.

************
Here are the two sites I have seen in the past week:
1. USA Hockey - The Hockey IntelliGym - http://www.usahockeyintelligym.com/
2. The Minnesota Advancement Program - this is totally identical to what UO does for refs - http://www.maphockey.net/

No comments: