Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Good News! - 18% Lighter Get's You What!?!?

The NHL debuted a new sweater for referees and linesmen in the 2009 All Star Game in Montreal.

Here's a snipet from the article:

Reebok is proud to announce the debut of new NHL All-Star jerseys for referees and linesmen for this year's historic NHL All-Star Game, which will be held in Montreal, on Jan. 25. The jerseys -- 18 percent lighter in weight than current officials' uniforms -- are customized to fit the specific needs of officials, providing increased range of motion and better moisture management.

Wow, that's impressive...didn't know my good ol' polyester sweater was bogging me down....as a radio talk show host here in the Twin Cities says, "B. as in B., S. as in S."

You want to move 18% better? How about you go out and crank out some body weight squats. No barbells, no dumb bells, just "air squats". Crank out about 100 of those every day and then tell me if you have more spring in your step.

**NOTE: Of all the exercises I have done to increase speed, strength, AND quickness, bodyweight squats have been the best BY FAR!**

Here's what another fitness expert had to say...

"In regards to squats, I'll never forget the time during the winter of 1980 , when my mother gave me an article that talked about dancers and how they built amazing strength and explosivemeness in their thighs. Free squats, done in high numbers, were the key. That evening when I was doing my exercises, I began to incorporate the squats. I did 100 at a time, once per day...Two weeks later I was wrestling in a tournament against a guy who had beaten me three times before...I felt like I had springs in my legs. EVERY MOVE I FELT INCREDIBLY EXPLOSIVE." (Matt Furey)

So...forget the sweater and be more explosive. Let Reebok market their claims, and let you claims be how quick you are on the ice.

No comments: