Monday, November 9, 2009

Athlete or Non-Athlete

I don't have a problem with guys who referee hockey for purely "hobby-type" aspirations or recreational reasons...I just don't want their 'cooties'.

I'm looking for guys like that right now for our "Early Season Referee Camp" that runs 3 months from November thru January 31. 
"Attitudes are contageous...is your's worth catching?"
I came up through the ranks with a bunch of athletes.  There were some guys who (a) were really good at what they did, or (b) cared about their reffing so dang much that they did what was necessary to be really good at what they did.  They were athletes.

 
            Athlete?                                                          Non-Athlete?



** Here's an assignment for you:
  • Go to your local rink, watch a Bantam game, Midget game, H.S. game (nothing at PeeWee and below, because the percentages will go way up) and tell me how many overweight, out-of-shape guys you see?  Tell me how many guys with unshaven faces and sloppy looking uniforms?  Tell me how many guys wear glasses while reffing?
50%?  More?  Less? 

I am sure all of those guys are great guys and do the game a service, BUT...

I don't want them on my team.  I want athletes.  Guys who are willing to pay the price.  Guys who want it so bad that it hurts.  Guys who would be willing to go through a brick wall to get it. 

Guys, like Adam Shadiow, the winner of the Ultimate Officials 12 Week Transformation Contest:

"Wow.  I guess that’s really it.  I really didn’t sign up to win.  I mean sure, I’m competitive, I wanted to win, but that wasn’t my goal.  There are a bunch of other guys on that list that are pretty dedicated.  I signed up as a motivator.  Something to remind me mentally each day that if I don’t work-out… I have to own it… to friends.  I have to tell people that I highly respect, “Yeah, I couldn’t even motivate myself to go into my own basement today.”  I did it because I couldn’t do it alone.  I’ve tried.  For me, the social aptitude bit was worth every cent and the gateway to a realization that ultimately is worth more than any financial, physical, or mental reward.  What I won… is my freedom from the idea that something is always in my way.  To the extent of my personal, professional and recreational goals:

THE ONLY THING IN MY WAY IS ME."


Check out this [link].

p.s. I ain't got nothing to bribe you to take action quickly...like NOW.  I guess I am supposed to do that to help generate response.  If you dont' want it badly, and you don't take action, I might not be able to help you.  REMEMBER: The only thing in the way of you is YOU!.

1 comment:

slicknb said...

Congrats to Adam on winning the 12 week fitness challenge. I know personally that he worked his ass off! Literally!!