Friday, November 13, 2009

Hey, Ref! You Got a Coach?!?

Seriously...do you?  Do you know what in "h-e-double hockey sticks" is going on in your games?  Do you find yourself guessing yourself?

Before I go on too far (and possibly lose you, because the average attention span nowadays is, like, 10 seconds), I want to bullet a list of things coming:

  • Video Tutorials on "Why I Love the 2-1 Ref System" (yeah, you read that right, I love the 2-1 system, and if it confuses/frustrates you, well, come along and I'll reveal some secrets).
  • New One Page Website, strictly on: "What Exactly Do You Offer (to those not in Minneapolis/St. Paul)?" This will be a 'one-stop' shop to see how/why the Ultimate Officials Online Referee Camps can benefit you and your association.
  • A rant/rave on "How to Shed 10 pounds (for good) and Be a Better Skater".  Seriously, man, have you looked in the mirror lately?  Without sucking in your gut?  How about taking a picture of yourself in shorts and no shirt?
OK...hope I still got you here.  There is a hockey writer out there who I think is a brother from another mother for me.  I haven't told him this per se (I did try to get in his Fantasy Hockey League, but he didn't take me :( but he says some really DIFFERENT stuff.  Not your usual hockey writings.

Here's Justin Bourne's latest blog entry [Bourne's Blog].

I want to include an excerpt here to help explain myself and what the guys in the Ultimate Officials Referee Camp are receiving in the way of coaching for hockey refs:

“Old school coaches” that GM’s and owners love to hire (”nobody’s slackin’ on our team!”) beat up the same tired mantra.  It’s about hard work.

Gotta be ready from the drop of the puck!  Finish checks!  Out-work ‘em down low!  Gogogo!  …Oh we lost?  We got outworked.  See you at practice tomorrow.

Davis would still preach hard work, but he prepares his teams too.  Before each game, the whiteboard was JAMMED with information.  Those crib notes included our opponents most used breakouts, their powerplay breakouts, powerplay setups, who to “key on” (who’s the most frequent PP shooter, stay in his lane), what their penalty kill setup is, goalie’s weakness etc.  Then, the list of all of our info… same stuff, other side.

He had it up as soon as we walked in the room, so guys could grab a coffee and study up before he came in and went over it all.

Between periods, he made adjustments.  “They switched from a box plus-one on the powerplay to an umbrella, here’s our counter-adjustment…”


Have you ever been evaluated and told real basic stuff like:
  • keep working hard, you'll get there
  • you're not doing anything wrong, you're real close to being one of my top guys
  • you need to be a better skater
  • you'll get your chance
How about coaching that is specific to you and your needs?  In order to not blab on and on and on, here's some recent comments I have received:
*************************************************
"J.B., Thank you for the evaluation! I have reviewed it 4 times since you sent it last night.  I learn something everytime I watch it.  I really appreciate it!" and "First of all, I really appreciate everything you are doing for me.  You have know idea what this means to me!"
*************************************************
"I want it JB… and I might not ever get there, but it is my “far goal” that really helps me focus on my weaknesses during those 6 goal Women’s games."
*************************************************
"I really appreciate your help and feedback so far. It has been really great and extremely helpful. I am looking forward to improving a lot this year."
*************************************************
"Thanks for the individual message. I agree with the goals for this year.  My number one priority is to learn the 2-1 system."
*************************************************
"If I were an up-and-coming official, I would gladly have paid $25 a week to have someone of your caliber come out and watch me and give me feedback."
*************************************************
"So far I have lost 18 lbs and have restructured my body. I used to wear size 38 pants and now wear 36s. My work shirts fit better but some of my other shirts look a little baggy to my wife. My face and chest look a lot slimmer and it is very noticeable."

*************************************************
And, lastly, I will steal a youtube clip from Bourne's Blog, featuring an out-of-control coach (p.s. I know and have worked with the referee):


 

No comments: