Friday, November 6, 2009

Do We Have a Problem Here...


Whenever I talk to people who know absolutely nothing about hockey, they usually ask, "Why is there fighting allowed in hockey?"  Well, I have to tell them that it is only allowed in "fighting" leagues, like the pros, minors, and juniors.  Then I get asked, "Why do they allow it, when the Olympics don't?"  Then I have to say something about 'tradition, getting aggression out vs. high sticking, or some other company line.' 

I had such a guy ask me, "What exactly is charging?"  I told it is taking three or more stides to check someone.  He asked me, realy serious like/kind of dumbfounded..."Why isn't it called?"  I looked at him.  Blankly.  Told some b.s. about tradition, aggression, and some company line.

What's the big talk so far?

How about this: A definite run

Nick Leddy breaks his jaw: Teach = How? Who? (good luck)

TSN weighs in on the issue: article here

Mike Richards hit: NHL says 'no suspension' but WCHA says penalty (see Leddy)?

Here's all that I know:

  • hockey is fast right now, and getting faster
  • when the NHL "openend up the ice" the running-type hits increased
  • a lot of hockey people want this to be a part of the game
  • charging only seems to be called if someone gets hurt
So, I got no answers.  If I were to take a stand, I would say that charging should be enforced.  I also know deep down inside that you are going to have a lot of pissed off coaches when penalties are called on hits like the one on Nick Leddy (especially when a broken jaw is a one in one hundred thing - hope you saw it...I can't find a picture or video on it anywhere...it was very, very similar to the Mike Richards hit).

(Ultimate Officials Ref Camp Members will get my 'real' thoughts on this, plus inside info - contact me to join the camp and get my inside scoop).

No comments: