Saturday, November 21, 2009

What in the Name of Bill Belichek are You Doing?


Doesn't that "hoodie" look great?!? I love it!

How about some "X's" and "O's" to make you a better official?

Is Belichek a misunderstood genius or a riverboat gambler?

Care to look at the thing beyond just scratching the surface level?


What are you trying to prove again, J.B.???


Developing the best hockey referees (without cutting corners) in the shortest amount of time.  Or, for example, "is there a way to teach a ref with 5 years experience to referee like he had 20 years experience?"

Familiar with the Bill Belichek debate from last Sunday's Colts v. Patriots game?  If you don't know, Belichek went for it on 4th down, with the ball on their own 28 yard line, with 2:08 left.  Ballsy?  Maybe not.  How about playing the percentages?  Well...you gotta punt, right?

When I first heard this news, I thought of this HS coach who never punts, kicks PAT's/Field Goals, and does all on-sides kicks.  That guy is Kevin Kelley and here is an interview of him on ESPN: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4577094

What's this got to do with creating the best referees?  How about this:


  • breaking down the game on a shift by shift basis to help predict outcomes
  • analyzing all positioning on the ice to give concrete data on where you can best place a ref
  • breaking down the skating elements to best train hockey refs (I apologize to all skating students out there, but I honestly believe that I have sold you all short.  If you have had me in any power skating instruction, I have taught you the best I could, with all my heart, but I have discovered I was missing an IMPORTANT, IMPORTANT piece.  Sorry.)
  • teaching the "feel" of the game to increase success rates (another thing you can research and document)
  • teaching officials the proper things to say to be the best communicator
See this explanation:

(oops...I guess to see more, you have to be a part of the Ultimate Officials Referee Camp.  You might be saying, 'J.B., looks like it started on Nov. 1,' and you'd be right.  But, you need to know that our camps are broken down into 3 month segments to coincide with the year-round training for hockey referees.  Therefore, any program you would start (like now, today) would run for three months.)

No comments: