Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Head Shots?

What in the Wide World of Sports is going on here...Petr Sykora out for the MN Wild out...the NHL GM's are looking into it...the worlds' goofiest helmet look...here's what Boston GM says:

"I don't like the fact that there are these violent hits to the head. But also, there's a balance that you have to have," Chiarelli said as the Bruins practiced at Ristuccia Arena in preparation for Tuesday night's game against the Pittsburgh Penguins at TD Garden. "If you start legislating contact out of the game, it's not going to be a very entertaining game. So I guess I feel strongly about continuing to discuss it and try to find solutions. But you have to be very careful.........."There's nothing magical," he said. "You have to instruct the referees properly. There's a threshold, there's an element of intent."

OK, so what's the proper way?  Only thing I can think about is late, avoidable hits, and all coaches seem to hate that penalty (unless it's called against the other team).  Why?  They want guys to finish their check to send a message.  Well...I am all of 'getting after it during play' and letting them 'battle', but late hits?...come on.  I don't see the need.

PLUS...I want you to explain to me the difference between this hit:

No penalty, no suspension:


And this hit: No penalty, one game suspension:


Can someone please help?

Well...I prefer a different kind of shot to a head shot (I know, I've done this before...too funny):
You Call That a Shot?

No comments: